Last Updated on May 27, 2022 by Latrice
These are real, whole foods that make it easier to sugar detox, stop eating highly processed foods, cut back on carbs, and start eating a low carb or keto diet for weight loss.
They help because these foods still give enough carbs to handle the sugar withdrawals, but are low enough to still comfortably get you off of sugar and regulated.
After about a week of eating 3 meals of all real foods, my appetite is usually back in check and I can easily cut back on carbs and start intermittent fasting for the health benefits. It’s the easiest way to get back on track with healthy eating.
Give this food list and list of meal ideas a try at the beginning of your weight loss routine to comfortably detox from sugar, regulate your blood sugar, get your appetite in check, and handle your cravings.
Ibotta app | Shop for deals before you go shopping for groceries using Ibotta. Ibotta is free to download, free to use, and has cashback deals on all types of items at many stores. (Cashback. Not points. Cash.) After making my grocery list, I check if Ibotta has cashback deals on the items on my list at the stores I shop at. Sometimes the cashback determines where I buy what.
Walmart + | Walmart + had me at free shipping and free same-day delivery from my local Walmart. The membership also comes with contact-free in-store shopping. This is where you scan your items with your phone, go to self-checkout with a QR code to finish payment, get an exit pass and an e-receipt then head out. Walmart + currently offers a 15-day free trial to get started.
ThriveMarket.com | Thrive Market makes organic, healthy groceries affordable for a monthly membership as low as $5 a month, paid annually. I like how they’ll beat the price of an item you find cheaper than on their site. You can also shop their website by your diet and your values. I filter for keto foods and animal foods raised humanely and sustainably. They offer a free 30-day membership to start.
Healthy carbs for sugar detox + transitioning to low carb
These are carbohydrates that are whole foods and make transitioning from highly processed foods and the Standard American Diet to a low carb, keto, or Carnivore diet much easier.
By incorporating these into my meal plan during my first week or 14 days of eating clean, I don’t struggle so much (if at all) with sugar cravings and withdrawals.
I don’t get the fake hunger pains, moodiness, and hunger headaches. This makes that first week or two of healthy eating for weight loss easier to get through.
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
- Spaghetti squash
- Raw almonds
- Raw cashews
- Raw pistachios
- Raw walnuts
- Raw nut butters
- Quality dairy – greek yogurt, quality cheese
The right fats
Eating enough of the right kinds of fats during a sugar detox helps take care of that false hunger feeling one could get when transitioning from the Standard American Diet to low carb, keto, or carnivore.
Even though they’re high in calories, they help with regulating blood sugar, getting appetite in check, and eliminating cravings.
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Beef tallow
- Coconut oil
- Leaf lard
- Duck fat
- Chicken schmaltz
- Bacon fat
Nutrient and mineral-dense proteins from healthy animal sources help with sugar cravings by giving your body what it needs to be fed. Being properly fed more often helps improve your metabolism, regulate your blood sugar, improve your insulin sensitivity, get rid of cravings, and control your appetite.
Simple Sugar Detox Meal Ideas
- Scrambled eggs in butter with fried plantain and bacon
- Beef, kale, and cubed sweet potato skillet fried in butter
- Greek yogurt topped with raw almonds, grapes, and bananas with a side of breakfast sausage links
- Baked chicken thighs, fried cabbage, and a baked sweet potato
- Beef Italian sausage baked with brussels sprouts and butter with an orange for dessert
- A fatty kale salad with kale, smashed avocado, avocado oil mayo, grapes, cashews, dark meat chicken, olives, and beets
- Spaghetti squash topped with a meaty sauce of ground beef and sugar-free spaghetti sauce.
- Protein bowl of browned ground beef, beef sausage, broccoli, and butter served with steamed carrots
- Turkey and kale hash served in a baked sweet potato and topped with butter
- Cucumber, carrots, and eggs snack box
- Salmon salad with avocado mayo lettuce wraps
- Pecans, blueberries, strawberries, and eggs
How to eat to take your weight loss to another level
Once detoxed, you might want to go for a lower carb or keto diet for weight loss. Here are a few posts that can help you do that…
- 33 healthy real foods I avoided to lose 45 pounds
- 8 keto diet meal ideas for weight loss that helped me lose 45 pounds
- 3 surprisingly best foods for weight loss, appetite control, and sugar cravings
- 20 keto meal prep ideas for starting intermittent fasting
- 15 Grab-n-go keto breakfast recipes that are deliciously guilt-free